The OPUS Chamber Music Camp is a summer day camp offered for beginner to advanced students of: violin, viola, cello, bass, piano, harp, classical guitar, clarinet and flute. The camp is six days in the first week of August on the campus of Benedictine University in Lisle, Illinois. The OPUS camp pushes creative boundaries. Each and every student participates in a chamber music ensemble, a chamber orchestra or a handbell choir, a creative multicultural music workshop, a project-seminar, and a concert. There are also recreational activities.
Waubonsie Valley High School music faculty and students warmly invite you to our 22nd Annual Prism Concert series! The four concerts will be performed on Thursday, December 5th and Saturday, December 7th, at 6:00 PM and 8:15 PM. More information…
On November 19, 2000, Ed Bradley did a piece called “The Orchestra” on 60 Minutes, which introduced Venezuela’s national efforts to make every child learn an instrument, from which they form a national orchestra made of 180 of the country’s best young musicians (up to 18 years old). OPUS was quite touched by this story. Some of the lovely sayings from this broadcast are:
- “Orchestra is a community whose essence is in collaboration.”
- “Orchestra requires teamwork, rigor, and disciplines, all of these elements, besides influencing the music, influencing a person’s development.”
- “The music taught me how to treat people without violence.”
Bravo! On Sunday Nov. 17, 2013, 60 Minutes did another segment on Paraguay, where Bob Simon reported much the same as the Venezuela story — only the instruments seemed more self-made, from metal buckets, wood, brushes, materials from the trash ….then there some help started to come from outside via donations — how touching!
OPUS will continue to perform community concerts to bring the Holiday spirit to all. Here is the schedule:
- 2:00 – 3:00 PM on Sunday Dec. 22nd at (Senior Home) Villa St. Benedict (east bldg), Lisle
- 4:00 – 5:30 PM on Sunday Dec. 22nd at Fox Valley Mall (Sears court, lower level);
- 2:00 – 3:00 PM on Monday, Dec 30th at (Senior Home) Plymouth Place, LaGrange Park;
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM on Monday, Dec 30th at (Senior Home) Immanuel Residences, Downers Grove
To our beloved Fr. Michael, OPUS young musicians performed on August 18, 2013 for the birthday (August 19) of the late Father Michael Komechak, O.S.B. ex-curator and founder of the studio art program of Benedictine University at the grand opening of Fr. Michael’s art gallery on the 5th floor of Kinlon Hall on the campus.
We had a wonderful workshop experience last summer on Saturday August 17, 2013!
We’re planning the next one, tentatively Saturday August 16, 2014 (More specific information to come)
- 1 Day – fits easily in
- Refreshers – does not matter if you haven’t played for a while
- Starters – if you wonder what chamber music is like
- New Friends – if you are looking for “the like” players
- Never too late to enjoy – you will be pleasantly inspired AND, grow to love it!
This “Never Too Late to Play” (NTL) Chamber Music workshop accepts strings, clarinet, flute, classical guitar, oboe, harp, and piano players of all levels who would like to make music and receive coaching in a relaxed and supportive environment. Preformed groups are encouraged to apply. Individual applicants will be placed in a group according to ability and experience. Each group will have four (4) coaching/rehearsal sessions with OPUS NTL faculty members led by Mara Gallagher (violinist/violist), the Music Director. Lunch will be provided. The day will culminate with a concert in North Central College’s Koten Chapel.
Fee: $90/person for adults (23 years old and over). Others: $60/person. Lunch is included. Please make a check payable to OPUS, PO Box 495, Naperville, IL 60566-0495.
Eligibility: Strings (violin, viola, cello, bass), Clarinet, Flute, Classical Guitar, Oboe, Harp, and Piano players of all ages and levels. While the workshop is open to anyone, acceptance is based on whether the applicant can be placed in an age- and level-appropriate group. Applicants are encouraged to mail an informal performance video clip or email a video link to campdirector@napOPUS.org.
Music will be emailed to you.
- 9:00-9:30 Check-In, Registration and Welcome
- 9:30-10:30 Coaching/Rehearsal – Session I
- 10:30-11:30 Coaching/Rehearsal – Session II
- 11:30-1:00 Lunch and Social
- 1:00-2:00 Coaching/Rehearsal –Session III
- 2:00-3:00 Coaching/Rehearsal – Session IV
- 3:00-3:30 Break
- 3:30-5:00 Concert Performance (and Awards)
For more information and to register, contact Linda Yu at email@example.com; 630.983.8902; or email Mara Gallagher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope you can join us!
OPUS’ Ensemble -In-Residence has a wonderful series of concerts planned for the 2013 – 2014 season! Visit their website for dates and locations.