OPUS (Orchestra Parents/Patrons’ United Support) Association is an IRS 501(c)3 charitable, not-for-profit volunteer organization formed in the year 2000 by parents desiring to support Naperville Community School District 203 orchestras. Since its inception, OPUS has broadened its mission to stimulate and sustain students’ interest in chamber and orchestral music, and to promote students’ musical achievements and performances to Naperville and its surrounding communities. Today its activities and events involve parents, music professionals, members of the community, and student families who act as music ambassadors to their respective schools. By providing chamber music coaching and performance opportunities to young artists, OPUS not only helps develop children’s musical intellect, self-discipline, friendships, and confidence, but also increases their sense of social responsibility as OPUS engages them to perform in outreach concerts at hospitals, at community events, and in senior home environments.
In addition to the Chamber Music Camp, OPUS has organized, sponsored, underwritten the costs, and successfully executed numerous projects and programs every year since its inception in 2000. Past events and programs include:
- Financial support for the local junior high and high school music programs
- Organization and support for special cross-school concerts for local schools
- Provision of music clinicians and special guests for special concerts
- Provision of chamber music workshops with the acclaimed Orion Ensemble and others
- Young musician performances at: Wentz Concert Hall of Naperville Central College, the Edward Hospital, Edward Cancer Treatment Center, and Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital; area senior homes: Monarch Landing, Independence Village, Benet St. Benedictine, St. Patrick’s Senior Residence, Plymouth Place, Immanuel Residences, etc.; local churches: Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Knox Presbyterian Church, and St. Procopius Abbey
- Young musicians’ outdoor concerts on the Naperville River Walk, at Morton Arboretum and Naper Settlement
- Collaboration with other music organizations: East Meets West Music Arts, Young Naperville Singers, Sapphyre Strings
- Collaboration with our previous resident ensemble: Cypress Strings
- Sponsorship of Wheaton Symphony Orchestra summer concerts
- Involvement of Naperville Evening Kiwanis Club, Naperville Lions Club, Naperville Sunrise Rotary Club, Naperville Public Library, City of Naperville’s SECA Grants, Naperville’s NCTV, Chinese New Century TV and other local organizations
OPUS had a long partnership with Benedictine University, but as of 2018 it will begin a new partnership with North Central College in Naperville, IL for its summer music camp program, and has other on-going relationships with various professional and community music groups. The outstanding young artist ensembles have been invited to perform in the professional Orion Ensemble concerts, and some students have appeared as soloists with various local symphony orchestras including the DuPage Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra , and Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra.