The 19th Annual Chamber Music Camp has something EXTRAORDINARY! Two of the leading violinists in Boston and Chicago are joining us to inspire the young musicians attending our 2021 OPUS Chamber Music Camp. Lynn Chang will bring his experience, humor, and compassion as a chamber music faculty member, and Robert Chen will demonstrate his chamber music skills in his The Chen Family Quartet.
Violinist Lynn Chang 張萬鈞:
- A top prizewinner of the International Paganini Competition in Genoa Italy, Lynn Chang has enjoyed an active and versatile international career as soloist, chamber musician, and educator for over thirty years.
- On December 10, 2010, Lynn Chang was the solo violinist at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in Oslo, Norway in honor of 2010 Peace Prize laureate, Liu Xiaobo, and in 2011 he performed for President Obama at the nationally telecast Kennedy Center Honors to celebrate cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
- Lynn Chang has performed with members of the Juilliard, Tokyo, Cleveland, Vermeer, and Orion string quartets. His discography includes the works of William Grant Still on New World Records, Made in America with Yo-Yo Ma on Sony, and the Grammy Award-winning The Girl with Orange Lips with Dawn Upshaw on Nonesuch Records.
- Lynn Chang received a degree in music from Harvard University and studied the violin with Ivan Galamian at the Juilliard School. Chang‘s former students now serve as members of the Boston and Chicago symphony orchestras, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. His former student Joseph Lin was recently named first violin of the Juilliard String Quartet.
- Chang is a founding member of the Boston Chamber Music Society and is currently a faculty member at MIT, Boston University, the Boston Conservatory, and the New England Conservatory of Music. He served for Harvard University in various arts and humanities roles for many years.
The Chen Family Quartet:
- The Chen String Quartet was founded in 2014.
- The Chen String Quartet has performed in the Constellations Chamber Concerts in Washington DC, in From the Top’s virtual concert series, and twice in the International Music Foundation’s Rush Hour Concert Series. Most recently, their concert celebrating the 90th anniversary of the Music Institute of Chicago was broadcasted live on WFMT.
- The quartet constantly seeks to broaden their range of repertoire and performances. They are committed to community outreach, having played at various retirement homes, churches, and other venues regularly throughout the Chicago, Philadelphia, and DMV areas. And from April to November 2020, the Chen Quartet produced more than 60 virtual concerts on platforms such as Zoom and Facebook.
- Robert Chen 陳慕融 has been concertmaster of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra since 1999. Laura Park Chen is a former member of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Boston Symphony Orchestra, and Chicago Lyric Opera Orchestra.
- Beatrice Chen is a student of Hsin Yun Hung at the Curtis Institute of Music. Noah Chen is a student of Dr. Clara Minhye Kim at Juilliard Pre-College.