OPUS was formed in 2000 by parents desiring to support Naperville Community School District 203 orchestras. Since then, OPUS has broadened its mission to serve students in Naperville and Chicago’s suburban communities. Today OPUS’ activities and events involve parents, music professionals, members of the community, and student families who act as music ambassadors to their respective schools. OPUS not only helps develop children’s musical intellect, self-discipline, friendships, and confidence, but also increases their sense of social responsibility as OPUS engages them to perform in outreach concerts at hospitals, at community events, and in senior home environments.
Active Programs and Events
OPUS’ signature programs are:
- Chamber Music Camp (19th annual in 2021, 2 weeks preparation and 1 week intensive, for student ages 8-18; and Teaching Assistants 18-28. Typically in 2nd half of July through 1st week of August);
- “Never Too Late” (NTL) Chamber Music Workshop (2013 → annual, 1 full-day, for adult amateurs. Typically on a Saturday in August);
- “Salute, Honor, and Love” (SHL) Concert (2017 → annual, performed for veterans and seniors. Typically in Wentz Concert Hall in August)
- Holiday Chamber Music Workshop and Outreach Concerts (2003 → annual, at local senior residences and public venues to community. During Christmas and New Year time).
- “Chamber Music in the Park” Series – (2003 →, per arrangement, at Morton Arboretum in Lisle, Cantigny Park in Wheaton, The Riverwalk in Naperville, Naperville Community Concert Center, Naper Settlement in Naperville, etc.)
OPUS has been providing free-admission concerts to veterans and senior citizens and there is no plan to change, ever.
- Workshops, Clinics, Masterclasses, Special Guests, Chamber Ensembles & Coachings for the local junior high and high school music programs
- Organization and support for special cross-school concerts for local schools
- Provision of chamber music workshops with the acclaimed Orion Ensemble and others
- Young musician performances at: Wentz Concert Hall of Naperville Central College, the Edward Hospital, Edward Cancer Treatment Center, and Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital; area senior homes: Monarch Landing, Independence Village, Benet St. Benedictine, St. Patrick’s Senior Residence, Plymouth Place, Immanuel Residences, etc.; local churches: Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Knox Presbyterian Church, and St. Procopius Abbey
- Collaboration with other music organizations: East Meets West Music Arts, Young Naperville Singers, Sapphyre Strings
- Collaboration with our previous resident ensemble: Cypress Strings
- Sponsorship of now disbanded Wheaton Symphony Orchestra summer concerts
Involvement of Kiwanis Club of Naperville, Naperville Lions Club, Naperville Sunrise Rotary Club, Naperville Public Library, City of Naperville’s SECA Grants, Naperville’s NCTV, Chinese New Century TV and other local organizations.
OPUS had 15-year partnership with Benedictine University, and has been enjoying since 2018 a collaborative partnership with North Central College in Naperville, IL for its summer music camp program, and has other on-going relationships with various professional and community music groups. The outstanding young artist ensembles have been invited to perform in the professional Orion Ensemble concerts, and some students have appeared as soloists with various local symphony orchestras including the DuPage Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra , Youth Symphony of Dupage and Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra.